Thursday 6 December 2012

Unexpected expense

It has been a crazy week.  Kicking off on Saturday, I cleaned and prepared my Brompton ahead of the planned LBC ride on the Sunday and, whilst pumping up the rear tyre, the entire Schrader valve snapped off.

My wife came to my rescue and I got an early Christmas present:

Monday morning I was about to set off to work on my Brompton and realised my front tyre was completely flat.  It was too much effort to fix at 6am and I needed to be in work early, so the DLR beckoned. £8.40 return ticket.

Monday night I set about fixing the puncture, found a small piece of flint in the tyre and realised that the tyre had had its day. It was the original tyre from new with approximately 5,000 miles under its belt, so I can't grumble. Without a replacement tyre to hand I have given the Schwalbe Marathon a reprisal. I previously criticised it when fitted to the rear so I hope it offers better grip on the front.

I patched the inner tube with my last Lezyne stick on patch - note to self to buy more - but didn't have to re-fit it as my wife gave me two further spare inner tubes as advanced Christmas presents.

Tuesday, my legs felt fantastic in the Silly Commuter Racing from a day off the bike. I got home from work at 9:30pm and as I drifted off to sleep my wife mentioned something about the weatherman forecasting sleet overnight.

Wednesday morning, up at 5:30am and I was shocked to find it had been snowing during the night and virgin snow, 3" deep lay everywhere.  There was no way I was going to risk cycling in it, so a quick check on-line that the trains were running ok and I set off sans Brompton. The DLR beckoned - another £8.40 :-(

As well as some new puncture repair patches I need to buy a Presta to Schrader valve adapter. My wife had done her homework and bought new tubes with the better Presta valve and although I carry a CO2 cannister with adaptor to fit both types of valves, I think the standard Brompton frame pump only fits Schrader.

3 comments:

  1. I was up at 0530 on Wednesday too. I must say that the four inches of snow were a hindrance on the Harrold to London run although the main problem was the huge tailback on the A6 that ran from Silsoe into Luton and had me walking up Barton hill in the snow. It was my first MCC ride for December and I think that I'll award myself a point for fulfilling rule #9 too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rick - that transcends rule #9 and #5. Unbelievable bravery - there must have been two furrows in the snow either side of your tyre tracks where your balls were dragging. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL is right. Thanks for that!
    On Thursday morning the receptionist at my local sports centre told me that I was just punishing myself when I said that it was a bit chilly on arrival with bike for a pre work squash game. He clearly has no idea whatsoever. I didn't tell him that he needed to HTFU but deep down, one day, he will know.

    ReplyDelete