Friday 20 January 2012

X = N + 1

In reference to the superb Howies T-shirt where X is the number of bikes needed and N is bikes owned
In my case N = 10 + M.  M is the other 9 bikes owned by my wife and kids.

N = A Brompton, 4 road bikes, 2 mountain bikes, a trike, a tandem and a recumbent!

The road bike currently getting the most use is my Basso Viper. I built it up last Autumn using a NOS frameset and an assortment of new and spare components:

59cm Viper Racing Light
FSA finishing kit
Jagwire Racer yellow cables
Shimano 6603 groupset
Fizik Arione saddle and matching bar tape
Shimano (de-stickered) RS80 wheelset
Vittoria Open Corsa evo CX tyres
Chinese imported carbon bottle cages
Planet-X CNC brake calipers

The frame was handmade in Italy in 2000, with silver fillet brazed lugwork and 7 layers of paint. The carbon fork has been part painted to match the frame and has a 1" steel steerer to which I fitted a shim to use a more modern 130mm reach FSA K-Force bar stem.  The seat tube is an unusual 30mm and also has a shim fitted to be able to use an FSA 27.2mm seatpost.

It is a beautiful frameset deserving of a much better groupset, like the black Campagnolo Record, but my intention was to build it up using as many spare parts that I currently had.

I have only ridden it a few hundred kilometres and it is firmer than I expected from steel and not as comfortable on long distance rides as my titanium road bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment