Sunday 25 November 2012

1 month to Christmas

The UK has been struck by more gales and heavy rain, however the forecast for today was good and at 9am the rain had stopped.  I hadn't planned a cycle route although I needed to check some of the lanes ahead of the London Brompton Club pedal I have arranged for next week.

9:15am, I rode out towards Old Warden conscious I had a 27mph tailwind and knowing it was going to be hardwork on the return leg.

There was a lot of debris on the road; fallen rotten branches, twigs and autumnal leaves and some puddles but not too much flooding around C.Bedfordshire.

The tree nursery at Southhill was preparing a delivery of trees which I thought looked very Christmas-like with their blue and green strapping...


Whilst enjoying the blue sky and beautiful country views I started to think about what routes I would cycle for this year's Rapha Festive 500.  Rapha recently announced that they were going ahead with it this year and the challenge is to ride 500km between Christmas Eve and New Years Eve. I think it is inclusive of the two Mondays, so 8 days to ride over 310 miles.

I began to wonder whether I could complete the challenge and ride a different bicycle from my collection on each day.  Then I started to think more seriously, in particular about what I'd wear.

I guess it is pretty obvious why Rapha set a challenge like the Festive 500 - their marketing department want cyclists to consider their wardrobe requirements for up to 8 consecutive days of cycling, panic and then add Rapha winter goodies to their Christmas list..."Dear Santa, I've been a good cyclist".

I think I've got sufficient clothing to cope but the washing machine may well be in action throughout the holidays ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment