- Run like the clappers. Think of it as getting off the 08:16 at Waterloo
- Try and remember where your bike is parked. This avoides any backtracking and head-on collisions with irate tie-wearing runners
- Ignore the thousands of laughing bystanders. This is serious. Put on your best race face
- Sartorial considerations are of prime importance. Looking good is essential. Flip-flops or flapping flares, however, are a no-no.
- Fast assembly - which you have been practising like a squaddie on rifle drill - is a must. Do not forget to tighten the handlebar clamp, or your world will go very wobbly, very quickly
- Sprint away, find a well-covered gentleman to follow five laps, then pop out from behind his ample behind and wave at the crowd. Winner!
I read the above in the event programme on the train returning home after a superb evening at Smithfield with my family.
The racing for me started at 4pm with a few warm up laps of the circuit ahead of the folding bike heats with the folding bike race final at 8:20pm and it felt special to be participating whilst also joining the crowds to watch the other races.
The event is going to be televised on Saturday on Channel 4 - http://www.bikebiz.com/news/read/channel-4-to-screen-london-nocturne-2012/012793ReplyDelete