Sunday 30 June 2013

Life imitating art

I hit a pedestrian on my Brompton commute :-( The idiot stepped out into the road whilst looking left, ignoring to look to his right and I had no time to take evasive action. The weird thing is, once he realised what he had done he panicked and grabbed my left wrist almost pulling me off my bike. And, get this - he was a clearly a cyclist; wearing lycra and carrying a helmet.



I was wondering how to write about it with any lessons learned and could only come up with advice to pedestrians.  I recalled the Green Cross Code instructions with Dave Prowse acting as the Green Cross Code Man.  Dave is more famously known as playing the character Darth Vader in the Star Wars original trilogy.  Ironically Dave writes on his blog about having his hips replaced recently.

On my training ride today I was still mulling over what to write and whether I was feeling the need to commute slower/wear more high viz/make more noise.  I rode over to The Hub café in Redbourn and as I passed the Common I noticed there was some sort of fete going on with people dressed a little unusually. At the roadside, one such person was crossing the road (looking left, then right and left again) dressed as Obi Wan Kenobi. A Star Wars convention!

Advice to pedestrians planning to cross the road...use the Force ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment