Friday 3 February 2012

Where to stay?

I watched Ridley Scott's film 'A Good Year' this week and it brought back great memories of 2010 and cycling along beautifully smooth roads lined by plane trees near Uzes in the Languedoc region of France.  My base for a week was a rented villa (sadly not like Russell Crowe's chateau) in the small market town of St. Quentin la Poterie.

Last year, whilst in France to race the Time Megeve Mont Blanc sportive, I stayed at the luxurious Chalet Apassion owned by my friends Rob and Vicky.  Whilst there I also 'ticked off' the Col de Joux-Plane and found a great circular route over the climb to Morzine and back to the chalet across the valley.  Normally I wouldn't consider re-riding a climb as there are so many others I'd like to achieve, but the mountains, the smooth roads and especially the chalet are so good I definitely intend to return, perhaps to watch the Dauphine Libere again.
























Finding good accommodation can sometimes be a challenge especially when thousands of other cyclists are also trying to do the logistics for the same sportive.  The Ardechoise sportive is expecting 13,000 cyclists to participate!

Has anyone got any recommendations for accommodation in the Valence area?


No comments:

Post a Comment