Sunday 27 May 2012

Cyclists' tan lines

Summer weather is here and I forgot to apply the sun cream for todays' Chinook-O 2nd pedal.  My neck is slightly pink, as are my arms and a white-red line is visible on my thighs; evidence of an excellent pedal out in the sun.

The Wilier Izoard has been neglected recently so I decided to give it a run today rather than the Chinook and to see if it made any difference to my recent average speed.

I passed the Center Parcs building site on the way to the 8:30am meeting point at Marston Vale...

This is going to be the 5th Center Parc.

I announced the ride on a cycle forum but only Rick and myself turned up and we loosely followed a 45 mile route I had planned out to Cranfield, Aspley Guise, Woburn, Milton Bryant, Steppingley, Maulden, Haynes, Cardington, Cople and Willington.


We paused at the excellent Danish Camp again for tea and cake and then followed route 51 to Priory Marina Cycles to pick up some Wilier products I had ordered.














In total I rode about a metric century today with an average speed over 18.5mpg.  The route was a little bumpy with 2,500 feet of climbing and most of the ride was into a 10+mph Easterly headwind.

I think the Wilier gave me an advantage on the climbs but I put my increase in average speed down to riding with someone else.  Rick and I half wheeled each other, constantly raising the tempo and testing ourselves on climbs and technical descents - great fun.

Riding with others is a lot more enjoyable than long solo rides even if you put yourselves so far in the red zone that holding a conversation becomes a challenge.

Superb pedal - thanks Rick.

No comments:

Post a Comment